Climate Action Certified businesses have a verified commitment to sustainable business practices and to addressing climate change by reducing their level of carbon emissions.
The Climate Action Certification Program was developed by Climate Action Australia, the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority and the South Australian Tourism Commission. It is designed for all sectors of the tourism industry and for aligned businesses both large and small
Tourism businesses can achieve three different levels of Climate Action Certification:
Climate Action Business
Businesses have undertaken a set of adaption and emissions reduction actions but are not necessarily measuring their carbon footprint.
Climate Action Innovator
Businesses have undertaken a set of adaption and emissions reduction actions and are auditing and measuring their carbon footprint.
Climate Action Leader
Businesses have incorporated strategic climate change responses across all relevant levels of business planning and operations. They are measuring and auditing their carbon footprint via a credible system and have undertaken an advanced level of adaptation, emissions reduction and offsetting actions and are working towards becoming carbon neutral.
To become Climate Action Certified businesses must complete the following:
- Business Details: Outline business details, ethics and insurance policies to cover extreme natural events.
- Business Relationships and Communications: Includes details for staff, volunteers, customers and business partners, including ways to adapt new attitudes and behaviours via changes in products, services and marketing.
- Business Operations: Considers all areas of business operation including building design and redevelopment activities, energy sources, water use, waste, transport and risk management.
- Climate Change Risk Assessment and Adaptation: Considers business vulnerability to extreme natural events caused by climate change and how businesses adapt to minimise the impact of climate change on the business.
- Reducing Greenhouse Emissions: Considers overall emissions assessment of the business, ways to reduce emissions (without any formal assessment) and looks at emissions offsetting activities.
- Innovative Best Practice: Additional points towards the advanced levels of certification can be gained via a demonstration of innovative best practices above and beyond the criteria used in this program.
Only T-QUAL endorsed Climate Action Certified businesses are displayed on this website.
If you would like to find out more about becoming a quality assured and or Ecotourism certified tourism business and be listed on this website, contact email@example.com